Friday, May 10, 2013

Papa's Pearls~~A Book Review


In the last few months I have been reminded that the generation of my grandparent's "The Greatest Generation," is so important to those of us who have the honor to learn from them.  My in-laws are from that generation which is a great blessing to my children. With the death of my father-in-law,  just this past February (he was 90), I realized all the things he has taught his family.  The wisdom he had and the blessing he was for us is irreplaceable and I enjoy reminding my children of all the wise things he shared with us.  Then I was asked to review a book, Papa's pearls, written by a Diane Flynn Keith.  The book is based on the life and wisdom of her father Carol Joseph Flynn.  I really enjoyed the book and it brought many things to my mind about my father-in-law.  The book is a "Father's Gift of Love and Wisdom To His Children and Grandchildren."

I thought I would read through the book then have my children read it. To be totally honest this is a great book to share with your children whether you read it or they do, but right now for my children this has been a very sensitive time with the loss of their own grandfather.  So you will just get my thoughts!!

Papa is part of "The Greatest Generation" and this book helps you see just why it is called that.  The folks from that time are genuine and hardworking. Mr. Flynn is no exception.  He started his life in the mist of the Great Depression and had to fight to get somewhere in life.  He worked hard to make some thing of himself.  He taught his family many things like hard work, how to show love, etc.     Papa's Pearls, is a wonderful collection of life lessons taught to a lucky family by a wonderful man who wanted to best for all the generations of the Flynn family.

Diane Flynn Keith does a wonderful job telling us about her father and how much he meant to his family.  I had many moments where I was brought to tears and lots of moments of laughter.  He sounds like he was a character, and a joy to know.  After reading this well write book I do feel that I know him and his family.  One thing he always says to his family is, "Where's my hug?"  I bet those were some great hug.

I look forward to reading this to my children.  I think it will help them appreciate their own, Pappaw.

I hope you find the time to check Papa's Pearls, you can find it on Amazon for only $13.47.


 photo Disclaimer2_zpsff718028.gif



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dana! Thank you for reviewing "Papa's Pearls. I was sorry to hear about the loss of your father-in-law, your children's "Pappaw." I know that this is a difficult time, but encourage you to write down things you recall him saying - to preserve it for future generations. And to give you a little incentive...I thought you might like to know that I'm having a Papa's Pearls Father's Day Contest. Share a memory about your own father, grandfather, or father-in-law on my blog and be entered to win a $50 Gift Card to Amazon. Get the details here:
    http://papaspearls.com/fathers-day-contest-win-a-50-amazon-gift-card-from-papas-pearls/ Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete